Tuesday, February 10, 2015

GUILT FREE REFRIED BEANS

First, let me say that I love traditional refried beans. I could eat them in or on anything. However, recently, I've been trying to eat a little healthier, so I've been experimenting with bean recipes, trying to create one that will not only be "guilt free", but one that will hit all of those coveted comfort-food bells in my head. A tall order, I know.

My first attempts were just plain bland. The next attempts were tasty but it was still missing that butter, bacon, ham hock something I couldn't put my finger on.

So I finally just took a wild fling and added a can of fire roasted tomatoes and upped the seasonings just a little, and BINGO, I am VERY satisfied with the outcome. Even picky-picky husband (without prompting, mind you) said, "these beans are really good". They are also made in the Crockpot, so it doesn't get much easier than that!!!


1 1/2  cups DRY pinto beans (no need to soak)
(1)  15 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
1 1/2 tomato can of water
(1) 4 ounce can mild green chili's
2 (scant) teaspoons salt
1/2   teaspoon black pepper
1  tablespoon vegetable (or corn) oil
1/2  cup chopped onion
2  teaspoons minced garlic
3  teaspoons chili powder
1  teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (important)

Saute the chopped onion in the vegetable oil until they are tender, then add the garlic and sauté for another minute.

Put the sautéed onion/garlic in the Crockpot, then add everything else and cook on low for 8 hours, or overnight, your house will smell heavenly the next morning.

Drain the cooked beans (save the liquid) and put them in a food processor. Pulse a few times (depending on how smooth you like your refried beans). If they seem a little dry, add some of the reserved bean liquid (I like mine a little on the "wet" side, so I add about half cup of the liquid).

Use in any recipe that requires refried beans. This recipe freezes very well.

 
NOTE: Don't freak out about there being tomatoes in this recipe. I know it isn't traditional, but you can barely tell they are there. They just add a nice FULL (low calorie flavor).

ENJOY !!!


SEE VIDEO TUTORIAL >>