Tuesday, September 30, 2014

MEXICAN QUINOA SKILLET

A friend of mine tipped me off to this fantastic recipe at http://damndelicious.net  It provides that COMFORT FOOD taste AND it is totally healthy for you (a rare combination)!! This recipe is super quick and easy to make!!  It is definitely going directly into my 5 star recipe box and I will be freezing single portions of it for my busy day quick hot lunch!! I even enjoy this cold!!

 


In a large skillet place:
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 seeded and chopped jalapeno (optional)
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 
 
Saute above ingredients for a couple of minutes or until the onion starts to smell sweet, then add:

1 cup quinoa
15 ounce can drained kidney (or black) beans
1 cup beef broth (or vegetable broth)
14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (undrained)
1 cup corn  (I used frozen)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounce can diced mild green chiles

Sautee onions, then add everything else. Stir well, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and put the lid on and simmer for 15-20 minutes (depending on how hot your pan is).  After 20 minutes:

Turn off the heat and add:
1 peeled and diced avocado
Juice of 1 lime (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Toss and serve immediately.


NOTE: leave out the jalapeno if you don't like spice-heat.

NOTE: Quinoa is a high protein grain that is VERY healthy for you and is an excellent addition to anyone dealing with diabetic issues.

NOTE: When I don't include the jalapeno, I increase the chili powder to 3 teaspoons.

NOTE: This freezes very well (before you add the avocado). I put it in one cup containers and freeze them.  To eat, put it in the microwave frozen and heat for 2 minutes, THEN add the avocado. It makes a great lunch.

NOTE: My all time favorite way to eat this (and maybe it is just me), but I love it steaming hot, topped with a scoop of fat free cottage cheese.  Yum.SEE VIDEO TUTORIAL >>