Friday, October 22, 2010

CRANBERRY SAUCE


CRANBERRY SAUCE

I have been trying out various side dishes and condiments with Thanksgiving in mind. Lately, I've been trying out cranberry sauce recipes. If you follow my blog, you know my dear sweet Hubby is a "purist" when it comes to a lot of all foods. Actually, that just means he is very picky eater and doesn't like a lot of "extras" in what he eats. This simple cranberry sauce really fills that bill; he loves it and has asked me to stock up on cranberries for the freezer, with this recipe in mind.

Three Simple Ingredients:
12 ounces fresh cranberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup pineapple juice (or orange juice)

Wash and sort the berries,  throwing away any light pink or mushy berries.

Put all ingredients into a heavy bottomed (non-aluminum) sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to a medium simmer and cook the berries (stirring berries about once a minute). When they first start to boil, the berries will actually pop (you will hear it), so cover the popping berries with a splatter screen to reduce any mess.

After the popping noise stops, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the cranberries for about 10 minutes.

If you like whole berries in your cranberry sauce, just pour everything into a bowl and chill for a few hours.

For  Picky-picky Hubby, I press the sauce through a strainer to remove the berry skins and seeds. Sauce will thicken as it cools.

 
UPDATE: Since I posted this, I've discovered that using half white sugar and half brown sugar is a fantastic addition.
SEE VIDEO TUTORIAL >>